Last night, Certified Meditation Teacher Bill Lynch came to Southington Library to teach teens about the benefits and practice of mindful meditation. Bill explained that the mind is often like a monkey, constantly jumping from branch to branch, thought to thought. When we practice mindfulness, we learn to live in the moment and observe our thoughts and feelings from a distance.
Benefits of Mindfulness:
* Can improve concentration
* Can reduce the symptoms of anxiety, stress, and depression
Suggestions for Practice:
* Breathing Exercise: Slowly and deeply inhale through your nose, then exhale slowly and deeply through your mouth.
* Meditation: Make time and find a place that is quiet and comfortable. Close your eyes and focus on your normal breathing. As thoughts come into your mind, let them come and go without attachment or judgment.
* Think of a mantra (a sound, word or phrase repeated by someone who is meditating). Focus on your mantra as you concentrate on your breathing. Bill suggested his mantra: "Let/Go."